CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 29, 2008

How to get something for free......

I took my 2003 Tahoe in today for a front wheel alignment. The front tires were wearing uneven. I told the guy, Bill, to take a look at the tires to see for himself. That was an expensive mistake. He proceeded to tell me that all four tires were cracking and that the tread was low enough that he, Bill, would replace all of them if it were him. I thought that when the radial chords start showing through is WHEN you replace them. Bill kinda chuckled. I proceeded to ask him how much this "helpful hint" would cost me. Remind you all I was going in for was an $80 alignment. After the smoke cleared from his calculator the grand total was around $600. Because I care so much about my wife's safety when she drives I told Bill to go ahead and do it. Ouch. I went to the local Fry's food store to sit in their lounge area and wait there instead of the 4' x 6' waiting area at the garage. I could only stand to "read lips" while watching the CNN program at Fry's for so long so I walked back to see if they had started on the Tahoe. Nothing. I went in to show my face and a guy stopped me. Some of you might know him. His name is Bill. He told me that I needed new shocks, too. The back tires were "cupping" also. Basically they were bouncing up and down while driving. I asked him how much THAT was going to cost me. For only $100 per shock more I would be set. If I would agree for all of that he would give me the front alignment for free. What a guy. 4 hours later I drove away saying to myself "That's how you get something for free. You spend $1000".

3 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks! It drives like a new car!!

Susie said...

The best part is..... I had new tires put on recently - well actually at 75,000 miles and then I had a low tire - nail in the back passenger side (109,000 miles now - ugh!) - and when I returned to tire store (Big-O) they fixed my tire for FREE!!

Kathleen and Blair said...

Let me know when you want some more free work done! At that price I could fly in from Maryland and help with the work!